Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Answered?

It was 8:40am when I was waiting, in the humid Mumbai climate, in front of the apartment gate to catch an auto to attend the last day of my internship at Indian Oil Corp.
A man in his early 30s joined me and stood towards ma right. As an unoccupied auto arrived from r rite, we signalled the auto man to stop. Despite being closer to the auto, he stepped aside to allow me to get the ride as I’ve been waiting longer. Loving the city more, i got in and came to a conclusion that Hyderabad can never be Mumbai in some aspects I respect.
When I was living at Hyderabad i never met a person who had a cool temper. Everybody was in an irritable mood every time. Be it early in the morning or late in the night
I always got harsh and irritable replies from the shop keepers, auto men, roadside vendors etc. I'm forcing myself to resist the urge to rant on about the traffic and the horrible traffic and civic sense there. But as my friend says, maybe I happened to look at only 1 side of the coin. Maybe I happened to c only those people who're frustrated with their lives. But not meeting a person who can give a proper reply in the almost 2yrs I've spent there doesn't support his assumption.
What I really don't understand is: Why do people have to be so frustrated? Even during early mornings when you wake up fresh?
The auto halted at Andheri railway station from which I am to catch a local train to Bandra, a 10min journey in the fast local. A train came by and I couldn't even put a foot in because of the crowd. I decided to use the next local. Didn't want to fight my way through the crowd. Peace.
"Hello boss", called me a passenger in the train who was sitting by the window, "Do we get cool water in the stall behind you? Find out.." What am I? How do I look like to him? His butler? I found that cool water was available in the stall and told him so. He gave me money and asked me to get him a bottle of cool water.
This time i was hesitant. I had enough. But still, don't know why, went to the stall, bought a water bottle and handed it to the passenger. I asked him, "You want me to order tea or coffee or breakfast? Or would this water bottle suffice your needs, Sir?". The man stared at me, a little hurt and a little confused as to what to answer.

The train started to leave just when a voice in my head said, "So, Chandu, you were thinking about something in the auto. Is that question answered now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment